Mr. Dixon is a Principal Geologist and has over 25 years of experience managing and conducting complex characterization and remediation projects, Brownfield redevelopment, assisting with liability transfer deals, and characterization and mitigation of pesticide impacted land, industrial facility closures, litigation support and expert testimony for a wide variety of issues, including sites subject to RCRA, TOSCA and CERCLA regulations. He also has extensive experience with groundwater issues, including aquifer testing, extraction, and chemical and bioremediation technologies. His Brownfield redevelopment projects have won Brownfield Phoenix and USEPA Environmental hero awards and he has assisted clients in obtaining and managing USEPA Brownfield Grants.
Mr. Dixon holds B.A. in Earth Sciences (geology) from University of California at Santa Cruz, and Masters in International Management from Schiller University, is a registered Professional Geologist in California and the qualifier for Roux’s California Class A General Engineering Contractors License with Hazardous specialty. Mr. Dixon has been an expert in cases involving contaminant fate and transport, the impact of contamination on property valuation, and defense of suits brought under the Clean Water Act.
- Site Characterization, Facility and RCRA Unit Closure, Remedial Oversight
- Managed all aspects of the site characterization, remedial feasibility study, and RCRA closure at an 18-acre former electronics manufacturing facility. Assisted Site owner and their counsel in developing a liability transfer deal, and then oversaw the >$8mm remediation and risk assessment on behalf of the responsible parties. In April 2012, the Site received a No Further Action letter for unrestricted use from the California EPA.
- Characterization and Remediation of a TCE Plume
- Oversaw the remedial alternatives evaluation, design and implementation of a two groundwater zone TCE plume below active manufacturing facilities. The remediation program included chemical oxidation followed by enhanced anaerobic biodegradation succeeded at reducing PCE in groundwater with an average baseline concentration of 45,000 µg/L to below reporting limits within a year.
- Design Build Contract for Site Characterization and Cleanup
- Managed the agency negotiations, site characterization, and cleanup of the former bulk oil storage facility for a municipal redevelopment agency. Worked as the environmental consultant and general contractor for the $3,000,000 project. Excavated over 30,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil, designed and built in-situ remediation and groundwater extraction basins, and obtained a No Futher Action for Soil from the California EPA.
- Shotgun Shooting Range Characterization and Remediation
- Managed the characterization, agency negotiation and remediation at an 18-acre former shotgun shooting range heavily impacted with lead shot and PAHs. Half of the Site were Army Corp designated wetlands. Obtained Site closure on time and on budget.
- RCRA Violations and Fine Negotiations
- Assisted an industrial client to assess RCRA violations brought by the California Department of Toxic Substance Control against the facility. Assisted Facility come into compliance an prepared responses to DTSC Claims and assisted with negotiating fine reductions of over 30%.
Representative Expert Retentions
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support for Property Valuation
- Assisted with the litigation support and was the expert witness for a Municipality defending a fair market valuation case after an eminent domain acquisition of a contaminated property.
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support for CERCLA Cost Recovery
- Characterized and remediated a formaldehyde plume for a property developer, assisted the client's legal counsel in preparing the case and was deposed as the expert to recover cleanup costs under CERCLA.
- Litigation Support for Clean Water Act Case
- Assisting legal counsel in defending a storm water discharge case brought under the clean water act. Case is ongoing and trial date not yet set.
- Litigation Support for Air Toxics Class-Action Suit
- Researched and evaluated hazardous and toxic emissions from an aerospace production facility to support the defense of a class-action litigation brought by neighboring residents. Obtained data through sampling, regulatory agency reviews, Freedom of Information Act filings and interviews, and assisted with expert report preparation.
- Litigation Support, Expert Report for Cost Recovery
- Assisted with the litigation support for a property owner seeking to recover cleanup costs from historic hazardous material releases originating from a railroad line at the site. Conducted soil and groundwater investigations, reviewd historical records to develop remedial cost estimates and Remedial Action Plan (RAP).
Journal Publications and Recent Proceedings
- 2012 - Panel Organizer/Moderator "Understanding Redevelopment in California” Commercial Real Estate Professionals Network Luncheon. April 2011, San Francisco, CA
- 2011 - Panel Organizer/Presenter "Metrics of Brownfield Developments” National Brownfields Conference 2011. Philadelphia, PA
- 2010 - Publication "In-Situ Chemical Oxidation and Enhanced Anaerobic Biodegradation of a PCE Plume". Paper published in the proceedings for Battelle's 7th International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds. October
- 2010 - Publication "Revitalizing an Urban Industrial Waterfront" Article in Brownfield Renewal Magazine. February.
- 2010 - Presentation "In-Situ Chemical Oxidation and Enhanced Anaerobic Biodegradation of a PCE Plume" Battelle's Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds, Monterey, CA. May
- 2009 - Presentation "Strategies to Pursue Sustainable Brownfield Redevelopment: The City of Stockton, CA " RTM conference on Sustainable Property Transactions: Reconfiguring the Business of Contaminated Site Redevelopment. San Francisco, CA. October
- 2009 - Presenter/Panelist "The Role of Community Planning in Brownfields Development" National Brownfields Conference 2009. New Orleans, LA
- 2005 - Panel organizer/moderator and presenter “From Fields to Fallow: Characterizing Agricultural Property,” National Brownfields Conference 2005. Denver, CO