Improving ESG Standing Through WHC Certification
Corporate landholdings—closed remediation sites, vacant lands, closed landfills, and even landscaped areas, can become valuable resources to the surrounding community and ecosystem. As part of our Green & Sustainable Remediation Services, Roux provides ecological design services to cost-effectively protect and enhance wildlife habitat quality and engage the surrounding community in conservation education, further strengthening Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) standing. These improvements allow our clients to become eligible to obtain certification from the Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC)—a national organization that focuses on habitat conservation and management through business partnerships and education.
WHC has been certifying voluntary management of natural resources on corporate lands for 26 years. Roux has been involved in establishing WHC certification for major industrial facilities throughout the East Coast for over ten years.
Examples of potential wildlife enhancement projects include:
- Planting wildflowers for pollinators;
- Planting tree plots for phytoremediation;
- Providing sustainable forest management;
- Planting native grass species for ground nesting birds;
- Restoring wetlands;
- Increasing bat habitat; and
- Providing avian nesting habitat.
Investment in these habitat improvement projects will:
- Add wildlife value to the land;
- Strengthen relations with the community, regulators, and stakeholders;
- Enhance brand reputation;
- Encourage employee involvement in voluntary outreach programs;
- Provide a platform for employee recruitment and retention; and
- Provide a potential for tax credit benefits.
Roux can provide ecological design services for both active and inactive facilities of varying acreage to tailor a wildlife habitat enhancement program that fits the needs of existing land concerns and future land management goals. Roux is proficient in working with a variety of environments, ranging from freshwater and tidal wetlands to riparian ecosystems, grassland, and woodland habitats. If you would like to learn more about Roux’s Green & Sustainable Remediation Services, please click below for more information.