Peter Kelso has been at the forefront of identifying emerging litigation trends for over 15 years. He is an expert on mass tort and product liability litigation and advises clients on identifying and finding solutions for risks associated with legacy liabilities and emerging litigation. Mr. Kelso specializes in data aggregation and other database management services, advising clients on litigation risk and providing them with expertise in product liability litigation, insurance coverage negotiations, due diligence for mergers and acquisitions, liability ring fencing activities, and bankruptcy reorganizations. He has led and supported numerous public policy initiatives to effectuate judicial and legislative reform at the state and federal levels.
Mr. Kelso had advised Fortune 100 companies, international insurers and reinsurers, and many of the top investment firms on Wall Street on quantifying current and future potential costs associated with litigation outcomes. He has given numerous speeches for the financial and legal communities at conferences hosted by the Brookings Institute, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Bank of America Securities, Bear Stearns, LexisNexis, and Perrin Conferences. Mr. Kelso currently leads a working group of top international corporations and insurers on examining the risks associated with asbestos and other toxic tort litigation.
- Strategic consultant for asbestos-related personal injury claims valuation matters on behalf of the Debtors in the matter In re Garlock Sealing Technologies, LLC, et al., No. 10-BK-31607 (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina).
- Strategic consultant for the testifying expert for asbestosrelated personal injury claims valuation matters on behalf of the Debtors in the matter In re Specialty Products Holding Corp., et al., No. 10-11780 (JKF) (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware).
- Managed a team of experts advising a Fortune 100 company on potential damages and liability stemming from a class action suit brought by more than 1,000 plaintiffs alleging exposure to isocyanate compounds.
- Key advisor to corporations, insurers, and investors on the financial implications of a proposed $140 billion federal trust fund for asbestos litigation. Provided fund forecasts and liability estimates for report used by the US Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Led a joint defense group of corporations and insurers on both state and federal tort reform efforts related to asbestos litigation.
Representative Expert Testimony/Speaking Engagements
- Hearing testimony on H.B. 1428, Pennsylvania House Committee on Judiciary, PA, January 2016
- “Bankruptcy Trusts and Discovery Issues.” Perrin Conferences Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Conference, May 3, 2016
- “Don’t Get Burned on Your Reserves: Future Incidence of Latent Claims vs. Current Burn Rates.” 2015 EECMA Annual Conference, Apr. 29-May 1, 2015
- “National Overview & Outlook on Product Liability Trends/Cases/Verdicts.” Perrin Conferences Product Liability Conference, Feb. 26-27, 2015
- “NYCAL Filing and Verdict Trends.” US Civil Justice Reform Group, Dec. 3, 2014
- “Asbestos Bankruptcy and Tort Litigation Trends in 2014-2015.” DRI Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit, Nov. 5, 2014