Roux, a privately-held, national consulting firm ranked in ENR’s Top Environmental Firms and headquartered in Long Island, NY, is seeking a motivated individual to join our firm as a Health and Safety Professional. The Health and Safety Professional is a mid-level position supporting the firm’s Corporate Health and Safety Manager (CHSM). In this role, the Health and Safety Professional will assist with developing and improving upon existing health and safety (H&S) programs, managing the overall H&S training program, performing H&S related field audits, as well as supporting loss and near loss assessments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support existing health and safety programs, ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including company policies under the direction of the CHSM.
- Build and maintain a collaborative working relationship with office operations pertaining to their safety programs.
- Prepare, review, and audit project-specific H&S plans in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Participate in technical reviews and update corporate H&S programs.
- Manage the firm’s safety data pertaining to new employee onboarding, annual training, and other firm-wide safety data.
- Maintain monthly safety training programs including tracking of employee compliance with established requirements.
- Conduct general and job-specific health and training for technical staff.
- Conduct field assessments and audits with the goal of improving the safety, compliance, and culture of the firm’s operations.
- Collaborate with the CHSM and the Office Health and Safety Managers (OHSM) with respect to near loss and loss assessments, including implementation of corrective actions and conformance with the firm’s compliance tracking systems.
- Participate in incident reviews and coordinate with all departments.
- Present assessment of audit findings verbally and in written form to all levels of the firm.
- Manage and participate in client-specific projects related to health & safety programs.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must have a B.S. degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Biology, Public Health, or related field.
- Candidates possessing professional credentials such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST), and/or Safety Trained Supervisor (STS) preferred.
- Ability to obtain a Certified Industrial Hygienist License/Certification preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience including health & safety program management in an industrial, construction, or consulting work environment required.
Skills and Abilities Requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including collaborative and team building skills.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with federal and state laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to OSHA and USEPA Regulations.
- Proficient with effective behavioral-based safety practices, including experience with loss prevention systems (LPS).
- Ability to manage and evaluate safety metrics to determine measures of success and improvements to the firm’s safety culture.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Proficient with, or the ability to quickly learn, safety management software systems.
Additional Job Criteria
- Must be able to travel in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, and occasionally nationally in support of the firm’s office needs and/or client safety expectations.
- Must be able to work effectively with virtual teams and utilize tools for collaborating with other offices and clients remotely, based on the firm’s multi-state operation.
- Preference for candidate to work in either the Islandia, New York headquarters office or the Somerset, New Jersey office as the primary work location.
Roux is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or protected veteran status; and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.