Michael B. Marsden
- Principal Hydrogeologist
Mr. Marsden is a registered professional geologist and certified hydrogeologist with over 25 years of environmental consulting experience including hydrogeologic analysis, complex site assessment and remediation, project management, litigation support, regulatory compliance, financial auditing, and insurance claim evaluation. He holds a B.S in Hydrogeology from San Diego State University. He is currently a Principal Hydrogeologist for Roux Associates, Inc.
Mr. Marsden’s experience covers environmental pollutants such as solvents, petroleum hydrocarbons, lead, arsenic, chromium, PCBs, MGP wastes and pesticides in both soil and groundwater. Mr. Marsden has completed numerous extensive remedial investigations. He assisted in the design and installation of soil and groundwater remediation systems and supervised the analysis of groundwater flow and transport models. Mr. Marsden has conducted complex hydrogeologic investigations and performed evaluations of surface water and groundwater interaction using analytical tools including groundwater geochemistry, stable isotopes, hydrostratigraphic interpretation and aquifer test analysis. Mr. Marsden has managed litigation support for cases involving allocation of responsibility, insurance claims, and owner/tenant disputes over sites affected by solvents, metals, MGP wastes and fuel leaks. Mr. Marsden has been a consulting expert coordinating efforts between attorneys and assisted in case strategy development and trial preparation. Mr. Marsden has been designated as a technical expert, been deposed and testified in court.
- Evaluation of environmental damages arising from the operations of power plants, MGPs, and surplus properties. Issues include evaluation of technical issues associated with petroleum hydrocarbons, PAHs, PCBs and metals in soil and groundwater, removal actions for soil impacted with metals.
- Consulting expert for insurance carriers in settlement negotiations in claims related to sites across the Pacific Northwest with sediments impacted by various metals, petroleum, PAHs, and PCBs. Provided expert reports and assisted in settlement negotiations. Provided independent estimates of future costs, analysis of potential natural resource damage claims, and opinions on the appropriateness of past expenditures.
- Evaluation of environmental damages arising from the operations of a chrome plating facility in East Syracuse, New York. Provide expert testimony regarding the nature, number, and timing of releases at the site and the possible contribution of the releases to the surrounding environmental contamination.
- Cost analysis expert for insurance carriers on multiple claims nationwide. Activities involve review of technical reports and correlation of claimed costs with site activities. Have reviewed over $1 billion in invoices and generated reports placing costs into categories as defined by counsel. Typical categories include; investigation, remediation, on-site, off-site, undocumented and costs unrelated to the environmental activities at the site. These projects have been performed in both a consulting and expert testimony capacity.
- Consulting expert for insurance carriers in settlement negotiations in claims related to dozens of industrial sites nationwide. Provided expert reports and assisted in settlement negotiations. Provided independent estimates of future costs and opinions on the appropriateness of past expenditures.
Representative Expert Retentions
- General Super Plating Company v PKG Equipment, Inc. (2010), State of New York, Onondaga County, Expert Report, Testified at trial.
- American International Specialty Lines Insurance Company v. Chubb Custom Insurance Company (2011), Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles, Declaration, Deposition, Trial pending.
- Block v. Helix and Huddleston v. Haber (2012), Expert report, deposition, and trial pending.