Douglas J. Swanson
- Principal Hydrogeologist
Mr. Swanson is President/CEO of Roux Associates, Inc. and a Principal Hydrogeologist with over 30 years of experience. He has a M.S. in Geology from West Virginia University (1983) and a B.S. in Geology from Hofstra University (1981). Mr. Swanson's practice currently focuses on providing strategic consulting support to corporate clients nation-wide. For example, as a board member of Solutia Management Company and Lucent Technologies Construction Services, Inc., Mr. Swanson assisted Solutia and Lucent in managing a combined portfolio of over 100 environmental sites situated throughout the United States.
Additionally, Mr. Swanson has extensive experience with brownfields redevelopment/voluntary cleanup programs, as well as federal and state superfund programs. Mr. Swanson has testified as a technical expert in matters including environmental response cost calculation and allocation, hydrogeology, fate and transport, aerial photo analysis and interpretation, and the investigation and remediation of contaminated properties throughout the United States.
- Strategic Consulting: Former Board Member of Lucent Technologies Construction Services, Inc. (LTCSI), and Solutia Management Company (SMC), joint ventures between these entities and Roux Associates, Inc. to manage environmental liabilities at over 100 sites in the United States. Sites included owned properties, orphan liabilities and other responsible party sites (e.g. Superfund Sites). The goals of this long term partnerships were to continually improve environmental remediation management processes, with a focus toward minimizing long term remediation costs. In addition to Mr. Swanson’s role as a Board Director, he also provided strategic consulting services for the projects. In this role, Mr. Swanson evaluated and recommended global improvements to the management of the site portfolios. Mr. Swanson was the primary technical lead in evaluating all aspects of each of the portfolio sites. This included an evaluation of budgets, schedule, technical approach, regulatory strategy, and PRP allocation. These “site reviews” resulted in the development of action items intended to enhance/improve the management of each site and move sites toward responsible, cost-effective closure.
- Superfund: Principal-In-Charge of many state and federal Superfund sites, including the Industri-Plex Superfund site in Woburn, Massachusetts, ranked #5 on the National Priorities List (NPL) and the Pollution Abatement Services Superfund site in Oswego, New York, ranked #7 on the NPL and the Bridgeport Rental and Oil Services site in Bridgeport, New Jersey. Directed remedial investigation/feasibility studies, pre-design studies and technical impracticability demonstrations. Evaluated natural resource damage claims and assisted in consent decree negotiations. Contaminants include polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), chlorinated solvents (including dense non-aqueous phase liquids), petroleum-related compounds and heavy metals.
- Manufactured Gas Plants: Manage the investigation and cleanup of one the first manufactured gas plant (MGP) sites in the United States, the former Provost Gas Works site in Jersey City, New Jersey. Provided expert witness testimony in connection with the recovery of environmental response costs at over 50 MGP sites in New Jersey and Indiana.
- Petroleum Sites: Principal-In-Charge of the investigation and remediation of large petroleum terminal and refinery sites in Wyoming, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island, including the oversight of an ongoing investigation and remediation of a 17 million gallon oil plume in Brooklyn, New York.
Representative Expert Appearances
- ConAgra Grocery Products Company, LLC vs Admiral Insurance Company et al., Superior Court of New Jersey Law Division: Union County, No. UNN-L-000805-08, 2011
- General Electric Company vs. David Lines, Christopher Hughes and Peter Mitchell as Joint Liquidators of Electric Mutual Liability Insurance Company, Ltd. (In Liquidation) and OneBeacon America Insurance Co., Commonwealth of Massachusetts Suffolk County Superior Court, No. CA 06-3106-BLSI, 2010.
- Warsaw Chemical Co. vs. United States Fidelity & Guaranty Company and Monroe Guaranty, State of Indiana, County of Marion, No. 49D14-0710-CT-044027, 2010
- Brian Kahn et al. vs. CSX Transportation, United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, No. 03-72652, 2004
- WMX Technologies, Inc. vs. Admiral Insurance Co. et al., Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division – Hudson County, No. HUD-L-931-92, 1997, 2003