Dr. Nathan Epler is a Principal Hydrogeologist with Roux who has 27 years of experience in site assessment, site remediation, and chemical fate and transport evaluations and modeling. He holds a Ph.D. in Geochemistry from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, an MS in Geology from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, and a BS in Geology from the City University of New York at Queens College. Dr. Epler has extensive expertise in evaluating the timing of releases, the fate and transport of environmental contaminants, and using computer modeling in his analyses. Dr. Epler has managed remedial investigations at major industrial facilities, petroleum refineries, manufactured gas plants, and brownfield redevelopment sites throughout the United States. He has prepared—and gained regulatory acceptance of—groundwater models for Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA) Sites in New Jersey, Federal Superfund sites, and large petroleum terminals and industrial sites. He has been a guest lecturer at Columbia and New York Law Schools, the American Law Institute and American Bar Association Environmental Litigation conferences, published with the American Bar Association, and has served on panel discussions for the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section Annual Conferences. In addition, he has experience in deposition and mediation.
- Project Manager of Remedial Investigation, soil and groundwater remediation at an industrial ISRA Site in New Jersey.
- Project Manager of Remedial Investigation and groundwater remediation at Federal Superfund Site in Delaware.
- Project Manager, Site investigation and remediation at a bulk petroleum storage terminal in New York.
- Project Manager Remedial Investigation at two New York State Industrial Superfund Sites.
- Project Manager of Site investigation and re-development project for 10 parcels in Manhattan.
- Project Manager for investigation and remediation of two Brownfield Sites in New York.
- Principal Modeler, groundwater flow and contaminant transport at a former picture tube manufacturing facility in Taiwan.
- Principal Modeler, groundwater flow and remedial design for a 600-gpm groundwater extraction system.
- Principal Modeler, LNAPL recovery simulations using finite-element modeling.
- Principal Modeler, groundwater flow and remedial design at a Superfund site in Delaware.
Representative Expert Retentions/Appearances
- Consulting Expert for joint industrial defense group in large Superfund Site in New Jersey.
- Consulting Expert for case involving gasoline release at service station located in New York.
- Expert Witness for two cases involving water districts impacted by Superfund Sites on Long Island, New York. Provided opinions on source and timing of VOC plume and apportionment.
- Consulting Expert to provide opinions on impact of product release at a petroleum terminal relative to existing impacts.
- Consulting Expert to provide opinions on nature and timing of pipeline releases.
- Gross v. Pall Corporation Expert Witness for Long Island industrial site.
- Major et al. and Green et al. v. AstraZeneca Inc., et al. Expert Witness for upstate New York industrial site.
- FMC Corporation v. The Vendo Company and Wier Floway, Inc. Consulting Expert for plaintiff.
- Expert Witness for an insurance carriers’ defense group.
Books, Journal Publications, and Recent Proceedings
- “Environmental Science and General Hydrogeologic Principles for Lawyers”, in Environmental Issues in Real Estate Business Transactions, Lawrence Schnapf Editor, Published by American Bar Association.
- Epler, N. et al. 2005, Use of Graphics in Environmental Litigation Support. Manuscript and presentation at National Ground Water Association Environmental Law Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Epler, N. et al, 1993, Retardation of 238U and 232Th decay chain radionuclides in Long Island and Connecticut aquifers. Geochem. Cosmochim. Acta, v 57, 597-603.